Friday, August 10, 2012






I cannot read in moving vehicles. This is a bit of a damp squib, because ideally, I would've loved to read wherever. Whenever. Whichever. Whatever. (Yeah, okay...you get the drift...)

So, in response to my woozy motion sick brain, which makes me feel nauseous for such ridiculous things as sitting in a vehicle moving backwards (let alone reading in it) I have deviced something called the busread. This is inspired from the fact that I have a 30 minute bus ride to my office everyday, which is where I do most of my mobile reading. The hitch?  I get to read only when the bus has stopped at a red light or is stuck in a jam or is in anyway not moving. My busread at any particular point of time goes with me wherever I go: doctor's offices, beauty parlours, airports, workplace... The idea is, I should always have something to read in an emergency situation and I will be damned if I let some pansy motion sickness deny me that.

So. Anyways. I've just finished reading Lady Chatterley's Lover, which was my last busread. This was partly brought on by the fact that I was a little ashamed that my Master's in English literature was achieved without reading any Lawrence. I was also, for a large part, extremely interested in what the brouhaha was all about.

And now that I've finished it, I have no qualms admitting that the book is, for want of better words, odd. The plot is very signature Lawrence and his theories of individual regeneration. But deep down, it's a love story and the sudden, strange, awkward sex scenes leave you a little bewildered. I understand the important role it played in the history of censorship in England, but personally, I think the book would have worked just fine without the sex bits. Lawrence's language carries enough punch to make sure that one reads, even if one finds the content strange. I mean...really...I couldn't, for the life of me, take the book seriously once Lady Chatterley had bent down and braided her lover's pubic hair with some forget-me-nots, in a, to quote the author "curiously tender gesture".

No comments:

Post a Comment